The following article was originally published in Health Keepers, a magazine created by Trinity's founder, Dr. Wendell Whitman. This article appeared in Volume 7 • Issue 3 • pg 7-8, 45. This article originally titled, "Don't Forget the Workers!" was written by Chris Clausing.
Imagine you are building your dream home. All the materials have arrived on the job site—drywall, tiles, roof trusses, bricks, nails, cement, and everything else you will need to build your house. Now imagine that no workers show up at the job site. What happens?
The short answer: nothing. The materials just sit there and no progress can be made on the construction.
Your body functions in much the same way. There are raw materials and there are workers. You need both to “build” and sustain the temple of a healthy body. Nutritionally, the materials required for your body to function properly include vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, etc. The workers that put these materials to good use are enzymes (digestive and metabolic) and probiotics (good bacteria).
Most people understand the concept of supplementing their diets with vitamins and minerals. After all, the nutritional supplement industry surpassed $150 billion in sales last year [statistic circa 2005]. Unfortunately, the bulk of these sales were for the raw materials, not the workers. Perhaps this can help explain the continued prevalence of degenerative diseases and chronic conditions despite the supplement “pill popping” taking place today.
Here are just a few of the benefits offered by Enzyme supplementation:
1. Without the work of enzymes, you could not breathe, digest food, play sports, or even think! (Yes, your brain needs enzymes to form a complete thought.)
2. Your body requires enzymes to produce the energy that runs your system.
3. Your cells heal, reproduce, and stay viable thanks to the power of enzymes.
Enzyme activity is crucial for the immune system to function correctly and how well your immune system functions directly affects your level of health. The efficiency of the pancreatic, lymphatic, and vascular systems and the absorption of vitamins and minerals (as well as hundreds of other critical processes taking place in your body every day) require enzymes!
In an interview with enzyme expert and author of Enzyme Nutrition, Dr. Edward Howell describes the effects of depleting your body’s enzyme bank as, “One of the paramount causes of premature aging and early death. I also believe it’s the underlying cause of almost all degenerative disease.”
Also known as good bacteria or friendly flora, probiotics make up the second half of your body’s workforce. The function of your intestinal tract and your body’s ability to eliminate toxins and absorb nutrients is directly related to the level of viable probiotic colonies present on the gut wall. Without good bacteria, nutrient transfer cannot efficiently take place, and a vicious cycle of autointoxication can occur as the accumulated waste seeps back into your system.
Here are just a few of the benefits offered by probiotic supplementation:
1. Probiotics change the levels of acidity in various parts of the body, depriving harmful bacteria of nutrients needed to survive.
2. Probiotics create their own antibiotic substances, which kill harmful bacteria, viruses, and yeasts.
3. Probiotics produce enzymes to break down waste in the colon for elimination and even help strengthen the immune system.
4. Probiotics have been shown to help reduce high cholesterol levels and recycle the female hormone estrogen, which reduces the likelihood of menopausal symptoms and osteoporosis.
How to choose the right workers for your body
Choosing the right enzyme and probiotic product can be a daunting task. Every company claims their product to be the best, so how do you sort the fact from the fiction? There is no cut-and-dry answer but always consider more than just what is printed on the label. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. How long have the formulas been sold in the nutritional marketplace? Longevity often means quality—customer retention is a good sign that the products work.
2. Does the company provide knowledgeable nutritional consultants? A friendly, experienced voice on the other end of the Customer Service phone line can make all the difference when choosing the right product for you.
3. How are the products manufactured? Heat, high pressure, and steam can “kill” a product before you even make the purchase. Select a company that understands the importance of proper manufacturing techniques and maintaining the frequencies and life force of the raw materials.
4. Are any fillers, flowing agents, additives, or synthetic ingredients used in the formula? These substances may not be compatible with your body and are not a necessary part of the manufacturing process. Consider quality before price—you get what you pay for!
5. For enzymes, try the Oatmeal Test. This test is the only way to really see the difference between enzyme products. Prepare 1 cup of oatmeal and let cool. Divide the cooled oatmeal into two small cups for comparison. Open two enzyme capsules of Product A into one cup and two enzyme capsules of Product B into the other cup. The true sign of a powerful enzyme is its ability to liquefy the oatmeal within seconds. The proof is in the oatmeal.
As you continue to improve your health and strive for increased longevity, in addition to the workers (enzymes and probiotics) and eating nutritious foods, take quality supplements that contain high frequencies, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and raw organic whole foods. Together, they will put all of the raw materials to work inside your body—giving you optimal long-term results!
NOTE: This article was edited to adhere to current legal and practical standards.